Thursday 17 September 2015

My First Few Days Of College

The boot of the car was full to be brim on Sunday afternoon with bags and bags of my belongings.  Surprisingly enough I had slept well the night before and was now ready to just get in the car and go.  The journey up to the college flew by and on a few occasions we passed other cars in which the back seats were bulging with duvet covers and pillows: a true sign of a college kid!



Unfortunately I didn't get a place in on-campus accommodation so I'm now staying in Diggs.  At first I was a little unsure of how this would work out, living with a family I didn't know seemed a bit strange to me and I didn't know how well I was going to fit in.  I needn't have worried though because the family I am staying with are so lovely and they make me feel right at home!  Once my parents had left me behind and started the journey back home there was a discussion of dinner, the usual family thing.  What were we going to eat?  After much deliberation it was decided that we would just get takeaway.  I wasn't complaining at all and so we indulged in Apache pizza and a nice glass of wine.  (There were no children around at the time.)  It was a great way to be welcomed into the household.

The next morning I was a bag of nerves!  I had been relatively calm the night before but now it was starting to feel a bit real.  I had to force myself to eat breakfast and remember how to get going properly.

Step 1:  Eat breakfast.
Step 2:  Figure out what food you need to bring for lunch.
Step 3:  Figure out what you're going to wear and dress yourself.
Step 4:  Put on a bit of makeup to make yourself look someway decent and brush your teeth.
Step 5:  Leave the house and try to make your way to the campus without getting lost.

Once I arrived at campus everyone in my orientation group were already chatting away to eachother and I felt so lost and worried I wouldn't be able to mix with anyone.  When orientation went on throughout the day everyone conversed with eachother with the usual questions:  What's your name, where are you from, what are you studying etc. and I realised I was going to be ok.  Everyone was in the same boat and didn't know that many people either so I wasn't alone and I met a lot of genuinely nice people.  Making new friends was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Overall orientation was overwhelming.  There were so many talks to go to and so much information to absorb.  I began to panic thinking that maybe college wouldn't be for me.  Had I made a huge mistake?  It wasn't a nice feeling but I think it's normal to feel that way.  I've only spent two days in college.  I need to give myself a chance but I'm now really looking forward to this semester.

Another worry of mine was going out at night.  Because I didn't really know that many people I didn't know whether to go to any of the night time events in fear of being on my own.  I ended up going to a Lock and Key night with a few girls I had met during orientation and we actually had a really good night.  If anyone else finds themselves in this sort of situation I would say to go to as many events as possible.  As I was told, you're only a first year once and you will definitely find people to hang around with and enjoy yourself with.

I'm going to finish up this post now because it's a lot longer than I thought it would be.  Stay tuned for more updates and until then...

I'll see ya when I see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment