Tuesday 30 June 2015

Life Through A Lens


When you take a picture, you capture something special.  It could be an example of natures beauty:  a flower, a butterfly or even a sunset.  That image is made permanent and is one you can look back on to admire again and again.  You can also capture a special moment you spent with family and friends.  That moment becomes a memory which can be recalled in the future.



A picture is a powerful thing and is captured through the lens of a camera.  You have to admit that it is quite and invention!  Used to capture historical moments, the camera is now used to capture our best angles and to make us appear better than others.  We blame the camera for not making us look good enough, for emphasising our bad features.  We blame it for something it was never made for.

Something else we hold against cameras is when they are out of focus.  The clear, crisp image we desire is not always easy to obtain.  Objects have no definite form and colours melt together so you can't make anything out.  This is something I deal with on a daily basis and have dealt with since I was eight years old.  Being out of focus.  The only difference is that I use a different type of lens to help me.



Their arms hug my temples and curl around my ears.  They sit comfortably on my nose holding two windows in front of my eyes.  When I look through these windows everything comes back into focus.  The objects around me have definite shapes and outlines.  The colours no longer spill over each other but stay neatly in between the lines.

People who don't wear glasses just can't seem to understand what it's like to need them.  I am always asked what I see when I don't have them on.  I don't have double vision.  I am just seeing things as through a camera that is out of focus.  If you can imagine that then you'll understand.



I don't like having to wear them.  I find them a nuisance.  They are impossible to keep clean and always get in the way.  I would love to have my full vision back but it doesn't happen by magic.  Maybe in the future I will invest in laser eye surgery but for now glasses are a part of my everyday.

I hope you enjoyed this post.  It's just something different I wanted to do for a change.  Until then...

I'll see ya when I see ya!

2 comments:

  1. A lovely post! I'm definitely going to appreciate my camera a lot more now!
    I've never been a glasses wearer so I'm sure I've asked people that exact question before :/

    The Everyday Life of Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah we definitely shouldn't take cameras for granted and every one is always curious about glasses wearers. It's natural! :-)

      Delete