Friday 12 June 2015

Book Review: A Thousand Pieces of You

A Thousand Pieces of You is the first book in the Firebird trilogy by Claudia Gray.  It follows the story of a young girl, Marguerite.  Both of her parents are scientists and have invented a device, the Firebird, which allows people to travel to different dimensions.  When her father is murdered, Marguerite suspects a close family friend, Paul.  Marguerite and another close friend, Theo, decide to follow him through dimensions in order to find out the truth.
The first thing that attracted me to this book was the cover.  I know they always say you should never judge a book by its cover but I have to admit that I am guilty of doing just that.  I always judge the book by its cover but who could blame me this time.  The cover of this book is beautiful with so many gorgeous, vibrant colours.  I was immediately drawn to it.
When I first started reading this book I was slightly confused.  I felt the beginning was very complicated and I didn't fully understand what was going on.  I had to read on for a chapter or two before I could get my head around it.  Once I got into the story I was hooked.  I felt the idea of being able to travel through dimensions to be very intriguing.  The whole concept of it is brilliantly created by Gray.  She definitely puts her own unique twist on it.
Not only is the main character searching for a suspected murderer but there is also romance in the midst of it all.  Of course the romance is not straightforward and so the story itself takes on new dimensions.  The book is full of suspense and tension as danger and deceit lurk around every corner.  It is truly a gripping story and I would highly recommend this to anyone if you are looking for something to read this summer.  I can't wait to read the next two instalments!
I hope you liked this little book review.  If anyone has any other book recommendations I would love to hear about them but until then...
I'll see ya when I see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment