Thursday 28 January 2016

Book Review: The Great Gatsby

For the longest time I have wanted to start reading classics and as an avid reader I feel like I should have started years ago.  So for Christmas I got The Great Gatsby which I was delighted about because it is one of my favourite films and is also one of the books I want to read before I turn 21.  So without further ado here's my review on The Great Gatsby.


Reading the book will make you appreciate the film so much more because they are very similar.  I'm one of those people who is almost always disappointed when books are made into films because they never do the books any justice.  In this case the book and the film can go hand in hand because everything is almost exactly the same; the storyline, the character's personalities (but obviously Leo couldn't have got it wrong) and even some of the lines from the book are identical to those in the film.

If you don't know anything about The Great Gatsby it's written by F. Scott Fitzgerald and the story takes place in New York in the 1920s.  It follows Nick Caraway who moves to New York and ends up living beside the mysterious Jay Gatsby who lives in a mansion and throws regular extravagant parties.  Exaggerated rumours are continuously flying around about who Gatsby really is but he is just a man who is deeply in love with Nick's cousin Daisy.  It soon becomes Nick's job to reunite the two lovers but of course it is not straight forward.  Then again is any love story straight forward?

The Great Gatsby is a very easy read.  It's short and concise with simple yet elegant language.  The story line itself is easy to follow with no complicated plot twists.  If you love anything to do with the 1920s lifestyle then you'll love this.  It's a story that really tugs at the heart strings and if you're thinking of getting into the classics then I would highly recommend this as a starting point.  Go on and give it a go old sport!

There you have it, my review of The Great Gatsby.  I hope this gave you some kind of an insight into what the book is like and taught you that the classics are not scary, outdated and complicated.  If you want a break from the crazy stories we read nowadays then definitely read a classic.  Until then I'll see ya when I see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment