Tuesday 26 January 2016

Things You Notice When You Start College

Starting college is a major milestone in life.  It's a new beginning full of new adventures and experiences.  You also realise that there is a bigger world out there (especially if you've been living in such a small and quiet area like me.)  I'm about to start my second semester in college and since September there are many things I've noticed about college life and things I just missed before.  So in this post I thought I would share some of those things with you.  Enjoy!

Courtesy of: WeHeartIt

You become an internet addict!:

As if you weren't addicted enough you become more so!  Firstly, you want to be able to connect with the new people you meet so social media is important, not to mention all the group chats you will join over time.  There are also apps like Yik Yak which become ridiculously addictive especially when you actually have to do work.  Secondly, you have to keep in contact with your friends from home so you check in on Facebook every half an hour to see how their new lives are getting on.  Thirdly, since all of your assignments are done on a computer, Netflix, Facebook and YouTube are always a click away.  Basically you will find any excuse to use the internet.

People Are Nice:

Having to meet new people can be daunting and you almost convince yourself that they won't have any time for you.  Not true!  Very quickly you realise that everyone is in the same boat as you and they want to make new friends as much as you do.  So if you're queuing up for a coffee or in a lecture hall try to pick up a conversation with the person beside you.  You'll be surprised, you could make a new best friend.

Secondary School Was Worse Than You Realised:

Okay, that might sound a bit harsh but it's kind of true.  Yes I did meet my best friends there and I do have good memories from my years in school but college is just so much better.  You have way more freedom.  Everyday is different.  There is no monotonous 9-4 with hours of study and homework on top.  If you don't leave everything to the last minute then everything goes smoothly.  You make loads of new friends, can take part in loads of clubs and societies and you can go out in the middle of the week which you wouldn't dream of doing in school.

A Lot Of The Things You Learned In School Are Now Useless:

The hours and hours I spent studying Higher Level Maths in school and now I use none of it and will never use it in the future.  Do I still remember the reproductive system of a plant?  Nope!  Do I need to remember it?  Nope!  Even the things you thought would come in handy are no good.  I'm studying English as part of my degree and it's completely different to the English I did in school.  All my school essays can go in the bin to be honest.  I've lost count of the amount of times I have questioned my secondary school education.

Going Out Every Night Is Not All It's Cracked Up To Be:

I love going out and having a good time with friends but it is extremely tiring.  It's not fun when you don't get back to you apartment until 2 in the morning and then you have a lecture and 9 the next day (technically 7 hours.)

College Is Crazy Expensive:

If you thought the price of secondary school books were bad wait until you get to college.  They are ridiculous!  Then you have to pay for food and transport on top on that and attempt to have a social life.  It's not easy.  You will soon fall in love with bargains and anything cheap.

Plagiarism Is The Worst Crime You Can Ever Commit:

Once you start college plagiarism is a word you will very quickly become familiar with.  From day one lecturers will remind you again and again not to commit this terrible crime or you can kiss your college days goodbye.  You also get extremely confused by all the different types of referencing out there and wish your college would just stick to one.  It scares the crap out of you at the beginning but once you learn how to avoid plagiarism you don't worry so much but you feel like you need to reference everything you say and write just to be on the safe side.



So overall college is great.  It's a place where Harry Potter can be incorporated into any lecture (true), you are made aware of your accent and you try to find your self and stand out from the crowd (but not too much because you don't want to get roasted on Yik Yak.)  I hope you have enjoyed this post and until then I'll see ya when I see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment