Tuesday 28 July 2015

How To Shop For A Debs/Prom Dress!

It's nearly August and that means that debs season is almost upon us.  Over the next month girls will be getting glammed up to the last and guys will be looking classy in their suits.  A débutante ball is a rite of passage.  You are leaving school and your friends and are preparing for the real world.  It is the last night that everyone you've gone to school with over the past 5/6 years will be together so you want it to be a good night.

Unusually for me, I left everything last minute.  My debs is next week and I only bought my dress today!  Buying a debs dress is tough work.  You want it to be perfect and you want to look fabulous.  I've spent the last two weeks traipsing through shop after shop, boutique after boutique trying to find that perfect dress.  Since I now have my dress (thank the Lord!) I thought I would share my new found wisdom with you on how to shop for a debs dress (because I'm obviously an expert now)!



Discuss With Friends:
Make a group chat on Facebook or find some other way to easily communicate with your friends to discuss dresses.  Give each other advice on colours, shapes and shops to look into.  Without giving too much away, tell each other the colour and brand name of your dress.  You wouldn't want to turn up to your debs in the same dress now, would you?  That would be a bunch of awkward!

Schedule Your Shopping Trips:
Pick a day you want to go and look for a dress, pick the town you want to go to and do research before hand.  Look online and get a list of as many shops and boutiques as you can in that area.  If you need to make appointments, make them!  There is no point in going anywhere clueless.  Have a plan and make the most of your shopping trip.

Try On As Much As You Can:
Go into a shop and try on as many dresses as you possibly can.  Don't pass over dresses if they don't catch your eye immediately.  Sometimes those are the best dresses.  Trust me, I know from experience.  Keep an open mind and you are bound to find the right dress for you.

Don't Shop Alone:
Always bring people along with you for second and even third opinion.  Make sure they are people who give an honest opinion.  Help is much appreciated during this stressful time.  They might be able to see the dress differently and give some advice.  Plus, you could always use them as you personal slave for the day and have them haul hundreds of dresses in and out of the dressing room for you!

Don't Lose Heart:
It's very easy to lose heart when searching for that perfect dress.  Try to stay positive.  Just because you don't find anything in the first shop or even on the first day doesn't mean you will never find anything.

Don't Leave Dress Shopping Until The Last Minute:
"The debs is weeks away, I have plenty of time!"  Stop right there!  Don't make the same mistake I did.  Start early because there are thousands of other girls looking for dresses.  Shops run out of stock, you can't find your size and the clock is ticking!  Leaving everything until the last minute only causes stress.  Start early and relax knowing you're sorted and then you can laugh at all the other girls pulling their hair out (a.k.a. me)!

So those are just a few tips I have come up with after my debs dress shopping experience.  I hope this was helpful.  Let me know if you have any more tips you think might come in handy and until then...

I'll see ya when I see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment