Friday 14 August 2015

Getting My Leaving Cert Results

Palms sweating, hearts racing, results day is nerve racking!  You can't sleep the night before and you find it difficult to eat any breakfast that morning.  You stare at the clock counting down the minutes until you have that envelope in your hands.  You've spent about fourteen years of your life in education and it all comes down to this day.  There is only one thing on your mind: will I be happy with my results?



The car journey to school was silent.  My stomach was in knots and the fact that they were talking about the results on the radio didn't help either.  As my mother drove closer to the school I could see loads of cars outside and other mothers anxiously waiting by them as there daughters went inside for the envelope.  I arrived at school at 10 o' clock on the dot, the time the results were to be collected and there was already a queue.

There were girls clutching envelopes tightly to their chests, too scared to open them and there were others crying which didn't calm my nerves at all.  Most girls left straight away and didn't stop to chat.  I was one of those people.  Once I got the envelope I raced back to the car only saying a fleeting hello and good luck to my friends.

My hands were shaking terribly as I opened the brown envelope.  I can't even remember whether I whipped out the paper quickly or pulled it out slowly.  I stared at my results for a good five minutes before speaking to my mother who was slightly worried at my silence.

The results looked good and I was happy.  I didn't want to wait around too long so I went back home straight away to properly add my points together.  Once I got the final tally I was delighted, over the moon!

Of course everyone celebrated that night!  Apart from being squashed in a massive queue outside the nightclub for half an hour it was a good night.

Congratulations to everyone who got what they wanted.  To those that didn't I'm sure it'll work out for you in the end.  Don't worry, the leaving cert doesn't define who you are.  Remember that some of the most successful people in the world never went to collage.

Until then...

I'll see ya when I see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment