Saturday 9 May 2015

How To Study

The countdown is on!  Only 25 days until the dreaded Leaving Cert begins.  You're probably wondering where all those months went when you started way back in September.  Time flies when you're having fun (or slaving away with books and notes piled high towards the ceiling)!  You may be feeling slightly panicked like I am so I thought I would help out a little with a few study tips to maximise your potential!


1). Get rid of your phone:  Turn it off, lock it in a safe underground if you have to!  Make sure it cannot distract you or tempt you in any way!  You'll thank me later!

2). Make a study plan and stick to it:  Making a study plan is great and makes you feel very productive but you have to follow it for it to actually work.  Weird, I know.  Don't just throw any old riff raff on it either.  Make a study plan that works for you and that you find easy to follow.

3). Be realistic:  Planning to study 5 Geography essays, complete 2 Maths exam papers AND learn every word in the French dictionary in one night will not work!  You are immediately setting yourself up for a fall!  Don't just say you're going to study History this Tuesday.  Decide what topics you want to look at and what you want to have learned by the end of your study session.

4). Take breaks:  Studying for hours on end will only make you exhausted and nothing will go into your head.  Take a 10 minute break every hour or so or else you will have a mental breakdown!

5). Remove distractions:  Like with your phone anything that is not a text book or study notepad is a distraction.  When you're studying even the fluff on your carpet is distracting and I'm sorry to tell you that there is nothing I can do about that!  What I will say is go into a quiet room where no one can disturb you, remove everything from your desk except your study essentials and then it's full steam ahead!

6). Don't stress:  Don't stress!?  What planet are you living on?  Okay, I of all people know what it's like to be stressed but sometimes you are almost blinded by it.  A little stress is good.  Stress is a good motivator but too much is bad.  As the LC comes closer you stress about not knowing anything but you know more than you think you do.  I'm at the stage now when I test myself I find information pouring out if me.  Sometimes I have to take a step back and say: "Where did you come out of?". Everyone has a box in their brain full of knowledge, you just have to figure out how to unlock it.

7). Put your study to practise:  Like I said in the previous point, I test myself and it is honestly the best way to study and prove how much you really know.  Practise loads of exam questions and time yourself because timing is so important!  Ask your teachers to correct your work.  They won't mind because they want you to do just as well as you do!

So those are just a few study tips I have come up with and they have worked for me so far.  The Leaving Cert is just another hurdle we have to get over and we will.  Until then, I'll se ya when I see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment