Sunday 3 May 2015

Irish Phrases That No-one Else Understands

Image result for irish phrases
I think it's fair to say that the Irish are a unique race and our lingo is one of our unique qualities.  There are many words and phrases we use in our everyday conversations that make absolutely no sense to our non-Irish friends.  In this blog post I'm going to clear a few things up and bring to light our odd ways of speaking.  So, without further ado, here's a couple of phrases that make absolutely no sense to anyone but the Irish!  (BTW, top o' the mornin' to ya will not be included.  Nobody says that.  I don't know where that came out of!)
  1. I'm neither here nor there:  I, myself, must admit that this makes no sense in ordinary English but it is a common phrase the Irish use.  Basically, what it means is that you're confused or you're stressed.  You're all over the place!
  2. What's the craic/ Any craic?:  No, I'm not asking you for drugs.  I just want to know how you are and if you have anything interesting to tell me since the last time I saw you.
  3. I will yeah:  Irish people live on opposite land sometimes and sarcasm is second nature to us.  If you ask someone to do something for you and they reply 'I will yeah' then don't be too hopeful.
  4. For the craic:  Again, this has nothing to do with drugs.  Doing something 'for the craic' is just doing something for the fun of it like touching the electric fence.  We like to live life on the edge!
  5. Now we're sucking diesel:  Just to clear things up, Irish people do not drink diesel.  We use it the same as everyone else.  If someone says this odd phrase it's because they are happy with the outcome of a situation.
  6. I was abroad:  No, they were not in a foreign country on holiday, they were just outside in the yard.
  7. Sure be grand:  No matter how bad the situation is, it will correct itself at some stage.  Everything will be just fine!
  8. Cop on:  This means stop being so ridiculous.  Get with the plot!
  9. No need to make a song and dance about it:  We are not discouraging you from letting your creative juices flow.  What we really mean is that we just don't want you to make a big deal out of a small situation.  No need to exaggerate!  
  10. Will you go away with yourself:  This also means stop being ridiculous even if it doesn't sound anything like it.
Well those are just a few Irish phrases the rest of the world just can't fathom.  There are plenty more but this blog post has to end at some stage so I'll end it now and I'll see ya when I see ya!
Blue-eyed Brunette.

No comments:

Post a Comment