Friday 22 May 2015

Last Week of School, Graduating & Memories

This week has been both exciting and slightly emotional.  Six years ago I began secondary school for the first time.  I was a tiny and timid first year who saw the world as big and scary, the future was lightyears away.  Now, I am no longer a shy child but an adult who is ready to face the future and all that it holds.  I am no longer a secondary student and in September college life begins.  This week I had to say goodbye to life as i know it, to the teachers who have supported me every step of the way these past six years and to my fellow sixth years who I have grown so close to.  I could not have asked to spend my last school days with a better group of girls and I hope that I will be able to keep in contact with them.  In this blog post I will write about my final week of secondary school and everything that happened!


Monday:  Bench-Ball against the teachers!
Yes that's right!  The competition was fierce as the sixth years took part in a Bench-Ball tournament.  Four teams were whittled down to one which then went head to head against a team of teachers.  (My team obviously).  It was tough but I had the best fun even though we did lose but what do you expect when you're up against sporty teachers who are 6 foot tall?!

Wednesday:  Sports Day!
Speaking of being sporty we also had our annual sports day.  We were spoilt with the weather, a rarity for Ireland.  There were a multitude of activities to take part in such as sprints, long jump, high jump, wheelbarrow race, the list goes on.  I didn't win anything (aww) but I did have a really good day!

Thursday:  Graduation!
This was the night, the official end of my time as a secondary school student.  All of the sixth years, parents and teachers attended a mass with refreshments afterwards.  We sang our hearts out especially when it came to our Grad song 'The Days' by Avicii, my new favourite.  After the tea and buns all the girls went out and partied all night long!  This was by far one of the best nights of my life so far!

Friday:  The Talent Show!
My school holds a talent show every year with acts from all years showing off  the many talents they hold.  The sixth years did a hilarious teachers skit and the teachers themselves even showed us their creative side!

Memories 




The above quote by Dr. Seuss was the central theme for my Graduation and I think it is very suitable. Over the past six years I have made so many friends with whom I have so many memories.  They are memories that will remain with me for the rest of my life.  It is true that you never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.  Even stepping through the doors of the school for the first time seemed so insignificant then but now I look back on it as a milestone.  

Memories are so important, especially the good ones.  Your whole life is a collection of memories, of moments you experienced and when you look back on them it makes everything worthwhile.  

The memories I have made so far are special to me and I hope to make many more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment