Saturday 16 May 2015

Me and My Phone

I think it's fair to say that humans have developed an odd relationship with their phones.  It has now come to the stage where we treat our phones better than we treat people.  We are never without them, they are constantly on our being no matter where we are:  in a restaurant, in a club even in the bathroom.  In this blog post I will be discussing my relationship with my phone which I think most people will be able to relate to.
 


My phone knows everything about me and my life.  It knows my number (obviously), my email, my home address, when my birthday is and the list could go on forever.  I put every single detail of my life on this little device.  It even knows my favourite songs.  I enter everything into the calendar, I make notes on everything (including blog ideas) and I have all my contacts together.  It makes life so much easier when I can keep everything in the one place and the result is it holds more information about me than anyone else.
 
Without my phone how would I know it was my brothers birthday?  I mean, who remembers things anymore anyway?  (I'm joking).  Who would wake me up every morning?  How would I keep in contact with people without having to call them.  Seriously, what is the point of having calls and texts on your phone when you can do the exact same thing for free on any app?
 
My phone allows me to let my creative side out.  Cameras with filters, different themes, wallpapers etc.  Everyone is an artist when you have a phone.  Customising you phone is much the same as interior design for a house:  I want all my favourite apps together, I want Instagram beside my gallery and I want Spotify beside my music player.  It's just like rearranging furniture!  Maybe I could start a career customising peoples phones?
 
My phone is also like my child.  Everyone knows the feeling when you go to your bag or pocket to take out your phone and you have a mini heart attack if you don't find it within the first second.  I'm like a frantic mother when I misplace my phone.  I run around the house turning everything upside down screaming at my family to ring it.  This doesn't happen very often because I never let my phone out of my sight!
 
I could also describe my phone as my daemon like in The Golden Compass where peoples souls take the form of animals outside their bodies.  I have become so impartial to my phone that I feel like it is part of my being.  I don't like to leave it behind me if I go anywhere.  Even if I leave it on the counter to go outside it's like I can feel this invisible bond stretching between me and it and it's almost emotionally painful.
 
A phone can be so distracting and that's why in one of my previous posts I said to put it away while studying.  It's just sits on the table taunting you and so you have to just pick it up and check Snapchat, Facebook or Twitter but only for a few minutes.  Two hours later you're asking yourself why you're such an idiot.  Did you really have to scroll through your whole newsfeed?  Did you actually see anything interesting?  Probably not. 
 
Well that's just a little post about me and my phone.  After writing all this I now realise that I might need some professional help.  Apart from that I hope you enjoyed reading this and can maybe relate in some way... or not.
 
Until next time, I'll see ya when I see ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment